To everyone who joined in on last night’s live LoHud chat, thank you — immensely.
The traffic was much more than I expected for the debut, so I’m very grateful to all who attended and chimed in. For those of you who missed it, you can replay the chat here. You can scroll through the full conversation to see what we talked about, in detail.
To give you a reader’s digest version, here is basic summary of what was discussed last night:
— We started with, unsurprisingly, the upcoming section tournament — who I think will win certain matches and why, mostly — although people also asked about seeds and who are probably some of the more overrated or underrated squads.
— From there, we got into a brief discussion of the Horace Greeley situation — boys playing with girls. I expressed my opinions, people expressed theirs. It was pretty detailed and raw, so you might want to look into it.
— After that we got into talking about Class C, predominately Dobbs Ferry-Blind Brook, with a mix of more boys volleyball talk. Then the conversation steered towards more opinionated questions fans had for me — middles vs. outsides, libero talk, top players, etc.
— We got into some club volleyball talk — I basically said that I really want to keep tabs on the various area clubs during the high school offseason. If you coach or are a fan of the club scene, please send me any info and I’ll be happy to post it to keep the blog up to date. My e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org.
— Towards the end of the conversation we talked colleges — mainly who is being recruited, who may be recruited, etc. The Hudson Valley should see plenty of girls on the college circuits next year. The chat lasted just over three hours, which, like I said, was overwhelming (in a good way). Most chats won’t go that long — they’ll usually be in the two-hour range — although people were asking, and I had the time, so I was happy to answer.
— I set up a poll in the middle of the chat asking people what they thought of the live chat, now that they saw what exactly it was. Not a single person voted, “Not feeling it/I wouldn’t want another one in the future.” The majority of viewers — 88 percent, to be exact — said they “Loved it/Definitely want to have future chats.” The other 12 percent were on the fence, voting, “It’s ok/Maybe I’ll want future chats.” All in all, I thought it was a smashing success and definitely plan on getting possibly a weekly or bi-weekly chat for next year. I’ll also pitch having live chats during any/all Section 1 tournament matches covered.
For those of you that were in the chat, please voice your opinion — good or bad — in the comments section so that those who missed out can get a spectator’s point of view experience. Thank you again to all who attended!